Sunday, December 16, 2012

Great friends are PRICELESS

C.S. Lewis
“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” 

I have come to realize that what C.S. Lewis wrote is absolutely true. Since changing jobs, I have really come to appreciate the value that friends add to life. It is not that I didn't appreciate my friends before. I have had wonderful friends my entire life. But working basically alone in a small office with only Bill and Jim coming and going, I have come to realize how much I depended on the daily interactions with friends to cope with the stress of life.

I have always worked where there were other women. Women do things for each other. Sometimes they seem frivolous or even silly, but there is some kid in me that enjoys the silly and frivolous. I miss Ghosting at Halloween and Secret Santa at Christmas. And I like to talk about stuff. "Your hair looks great, is that Nice 'n Easy Ash Blond?" "Her baby is just as cute as he can be." "Oh, good Lord, if I have to hear about her cousin's cabin one more time, I'm gonna scream." "How many points are in this two inch square brownie?" "He's as dumb as a post, bless his heart."

I sure am glad I have great friends who remember this lonely, one-woman office person. Thank goodness for GNO. And thank goodness for all those wonderful women who give value to my survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment